To help you achieve the healthiest, most lush hair you’ve ever had, Salon & Spa De Crist is here to separate hair myths from hair facts. We’ve debunked the top 10 hair myths from “stress causes grey hair” to “color-treated hair is unhealthy”. With so many tutorials, products, and opinions out there, it’s difficult to figure out what’s fake news and what is actually recommended by the experts. Salon & Spa De Crist is here to help.
1. I shouldn’t wash my hair when I visit the salon for a color or highlight. “You don’t paint a dirty house so why would you paint dirty hair!?” Stated by Leila Cahoon, owner of Independence College of Cosmetology. Hair color is actually best locked in with clean hair. Many people visit salons with greasy hair, thinking, “..no big deal. My hair color will actually stay longer when applied to dirty hair.” Salon & Spa De Crist is here to let you know that this myth along with other hair myths is FALSE. All the oils in your hair from not being washed dilute the bleach and color. Furthermore, clean hair actually allows hair color to be spread more evenly!
2. If I pluck one gray hair, two grow in its place. The popular belief is that when one gray hair is plucked, two more will grow in its place. Cosmetic scientist and author, Randy Schueller debunks this hair myth, “What you do to one follicle doesn’t affect its neighbors.” Only one hair can grow back from a singular hair follicle. Salon & Spa De Crist actually suggest not to pluck at all. You may damage the follicle to the point where hair will not grow back. If gray hair is what you are worried about, visit Salon & Spa De Crist for a color, highlight or touch up!
3. Air drying is healthier than blow-drying. We’ve all been told hair myths including air-drying is better for your hair than blow-drying or even towel-drying. In reality, air-drying damages your hair on a broader level. When the hair is left wet for a period of time, there is too much pressure on the delicate proteins that make up your hair, causing the hair to swell when left wet or damp. With this said, Salon & Spa De Crist recommends a slight blow dry directly on the hair of the scalp like the bangs and the part line. But, it is better for the hair to air dry from the mid shaft to ends. Consider showering at night and drying it a bit to control then allow it to dry the rest overnight for best results!
4. Color-treated hair is unhealthy. Yes, bleaching your hair can be damaging. While this is true, Salon & Spa De Crist has a special trick up their sleeves. Our stylists use Brazilian D3, an additive with protein and Keratin that helps to protect the hair from the damaging effects of highlighting. Coloring your hair is a different story. With the right hair coloring products, adding color is actually good for your locks! Not only does dying your hair make the strands appear thicker, but the hair color plumps up your hair.
5. I should brush my hair as often as I can. Leave the hairbrush at home. The idea that brushing your hair 100 times a day is “good” for your hair is false! Constantly brushing your hair adds no value than just brushing your hair at normal times. In comparison, brushing your hair a great deal can actually cause harm and damage your hair cuticles. Your top-rated salon in Lee’s Summit recommends brushing your hair when tangly, otherwise, leave it alone.
6. Cutting your hair frequently makes it grow faster. One of the most common hair myths is trimming your hair is one of the only ways to help your hair grow quicker. However, hair growth begins at the roots and not at the ends. Focus on the health of your scalp for hair growth. Not included in our hair myths is that split ends do cause your hair to look thinner. Consequently, frequent hair trims are still important, and Salon & Spa De Crist is here to keep your hair healthy and beautiful!
7. Stress causes gray hair. Many people compare presidents’ current hair color to when they started campaigning, making it easy to believe that stress does in fact cause gray hair. On the contrary, it’s scientifically just not possible! According to expert dermatologist Howard Brooks, stress may cause hair to fall out, but stress does not cause the hair to turn gray. Life can already be extra stressful, so no need to stress about gray hair!
8. Conditioner makes your hair greasy. Conditioning your hair is highly beneficial, and not to blame for greasy hair. In fact, especially in the summer months, certain types of hair have a tendency to become very dry. Too much sebum, a type of oil your body naturally produces, is the cause of your buildup and greasy hair. Conditioning your hair is a MUST to prevent hair damage and breakage. Salon & Spa De Crist recommends to condition your hair and even leave the conditioner in for a couple of minutes, letting it soak.
9. I should wash my hair every other day. One of the most common questions we get is, “How often should I wash my hair?”. There are so many myths about hair regarding shampooing and conditioning your locks. At Salon & Spa De Crist, we recognize that every single person’s hair is different. Because of this, there is not one clear cut rule on how often you should wash your hair. We tell our clients to pay attention to the health, look, and feel of their hair. It’s simple- wash your hair when it starts to feel oily.
10. Wearing a hat causes hair to thin. Another old wives’ tale and another false myth about hair that people really believe! Male baldness is caused by genetics and hormones. Poor diet and unhealthy habits can cause hair loss, but hats?! An urban myth. So, wear a hat if you like the look, and don’t worry about hair loss or thinning.
Have you heard these hair myths before? Did you believe some of them to be true?! Sharing is caring, so next time one of your girlfriends brushes her hair for the 20th time that day, let her know the knowledge you learned today! If you’re like us, healthy, shiny, beautiful hair is the goal. Schedule an appointment today with Salon & Spa De Crist and see yourself in a whole new light.